Friday, May 11, 2012

Necessary Challenges


Like most long-term intercultural experiences, a journey in the Peace Corps will produce a roller coaster of emotions. Whether you are freezing in a Soviet bloc style apartment building in the Ukraine or sweating in a thatch roofed hut in sub-Saharan Africa, one will encounter various struggles. I have quickly come to realize that the periods of frustration aid in amplifying the particularly joyful moments that one will inevitably stumble upon throughout their service. These instances of enlightenment are what makes the seemingly longer periods of aggravation not only bearable, but worthwhile. Hyperawareness is a natural symptom of culture shock, and even an avid traveler is not immune to its effects. The amount of perspective one gains daily in a foreign culture is equal to or more than one could potentially achieve in years in one´s natural environment. Specifically the sentiment of happiness, which is the token nirvana for the human race, is achieved through less complex manners. In my case, it involves staring into the emerald hills that hug the edges of my town to untangle the knots of doubt that are often simmering in my stomach. The main reason why development is such a slow and tedious process is before one can implement any projects, positive and negative experiences in an alien setting must breed the required knowledge to make these projects both sustainable and successful. 


The biggest challenge so far involves a question encased in existential combustibility: ¨What am I doing here?!¨ I ask that both literally and figuratively, because as is expected both answers compliment the success of the other. Formally, I am recognized by Peace Corps as a community health volunteer. However, I have quickly realized that what I actually am is a community development volunteer who has the word health attached to her title in order take use of the benefits of a specific ministry which will not be named, as her counterpart. I say this with the most realistic intentions, as I know as well as most people here, that I am no expert when it comes to educating people in the community about the specifics of certain health issues. First of all, they have been hearing the same talks their entire lives, and I am just a person with a funny accent, crazy hair, and weirdo hipster clothes spewing the exact same facts that they have repeatedly received from actual health professionals who can communicate in perfect Spanish.

Upon this realization, one may feel extremely disillusioned, which is why the original question surfaced. Alas, all I had to do was peer deep into the green shrubbery of those fertile mounds surrounding my town and the answer became clearer. I am here to educate about health, but in perhaps a more holistic manner than per se a doctor or nurse might attempt. I could give educational talks everyday at my health center or in the schools on various health topics for the rest of my two years of service, yet where is the sustainability of this action? While it is important to visit all areas of my assigned region in order to gain knowledge on the community's needs and to facilitate the integration process, I want to find a smaller niche within my already well resourced environment where my short stay will be considered valuable. I need look no further than my life´s passion, theater. I have preliminary plans to use theater as a mechanism to educate youth in my community on various health topics. This will involve forming a theater group that will create and perform plays on health themes in both my town and the surrounding rural areas. Development, health and theater! Maybe I can eat my torta.

No comments:

Post a Comment